2021 Patient Outcomes
Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan
In 2021, the Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan (RIM) treated 1,016 patients.
Patients were treated for:
- Stroke (21%)
- General rehab and complex problems (21%)
- Spinal cord injury (18%)
- Brain injury (17%)
- Orthopedic problem (12%)
- Neurological problem (10%)
- Amputation of the lower part of the body (5%)
- Severe burns (1%)
Individual outcomes are influenced by many factors including severity of injury, previous health status, medical complications and support systems.
- 73% of persons served, returned home or to the community after discharge from RIM’s rehabilitation program
- RIM’s average hospital stay was 19 days. However, length of stay is based on the unique needs of the persons served and based on the individual, the stay may be a longer or shorter amount of time.
- Patients received three hours of therapy per day
- RIM patients exceeded the national benchmark for goals met by 11%.
- At times, patients may require further treatment in an acute care hospital and 13% were transferred to the hospital for further treatment before completing their rehabilitation program.
- The average age of persons served at RIM was 57, with the program also serving adolescents with an average age of 15.
- There were zero RIM patient deaths
2021 Program Outcomes by Condition
|Stroke||Brain Injury||Spinal Cord Injury||Ortho||Neuro||General Rehab/Medical||Amputation, Lower Extremity*||Adolescents*||Burns*||All Conditions|
|Number of Patients Treated||215||173||187||123||100||218||54||2||7||1016|
|Patients Returned Home or Community after Discharge from Rehab Program||68%||74%||73%||72%||78%||46%||65%||100%||86%||73%|
|Average Days of Rehab Hospital Stay||23||19||24||16||17||13||15||30||16||19|
|Average Hours of Therapy per Day||2.88||2.75||2.93||2.92||2.89||2.85||2.88||2.93||2.93||2.87|
|Goals Met Compared to Similar Rehab Hospitals in the Nation||Better||Better||Same||Same||Better||Better||Same||Better||Better||Better|
|Patient's Average Age||61||48||56||56||56||64||59||15||47||57|
|Patients Transferred for Medically Complex Care to Acute Care Hospital||12%||12%||11%||15%||13%||16%||20%||0%||0%||13%|
|Source: eRehabdata TM|
*Amputations, Adolescents, and Burns are solely represented in the respective column
The Patient Is Our Purpose
Safety is our number one focus at RIM. Creating a program that safely meets the needs of the patient is very important to us. Feedback from the patient and their support systems are used in creating our annual plan.