For many cancer survivors, including those undergoing treatment, the aggressive, life-saving interventions take a harsh toll on their body. DMC Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan (RIM) is here to help. RIM offers a comprehensive program designed to provide rehabilitation services to anyone who has been diagnosed with cancer, and is experiencing cancer-related pain and musculoskeletal dysfunction.
Our program helps you regain strength, mobility and quality of life. Services are provided by physical and occupational therapists with highly specialized training in cancer rehabilitation. Some of the areas and conditions we specialize in include:
- Pelvic floor treatment to regain bladder or bowel control, or to reduce pelvic pain that may be due to cancer treatment
- Comprehensive Lymphedema Therapy: specialized massage techniques (manual lymph drainage), compression therapy, skin care and exercise
- Balance or gait training to restore safe, independent walking
- Mobilization of the joints and soft tissues that may have become restricted by cancer treatment
- Exercise programs specially designed to reduce debilitating cancer-related fatigue, as well as increase strength and mobility
- Fitness programs designed to help you achieve your maximum activity level
- Problems with swallowing (dysphagia)
Cancer rehab services are offered at the following RIM outpatient locations:
More About Oncology Rehab at The DMC Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan
The Detroit Medical Center's (DMC) Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan (RIM) has been dedicated to helping people with cancer and physical disabilities achieve the best life possible. As a national leader in the delivery of physical medicine and oncology rehabilitation services, the Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan has become a trusted organization that attracts patients, cancer rehab specialists, and health care professionals from around the world. As one of the nation’s largest rehab hospitals dedicated to physical medicine and rehabilitation, RIM specializes in cancer rehab therapy, complex trauma and orthopedics, stroke, and spinal cord and brain injuries.